Maha cabinet condoles passing away of Deshmukh, Kunte
Mumbai: Maharashtra Cabinet on Thursday condoled deaths of union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh and veteran Congress leader Prabhakar Kunte.
Deshmukh, a two time chief minister of the state, passed away on August 14 in a Chennai hospital due to a serious liver ailment while Kunte died here yesterday of old age.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan read out the resolution of condoling the passing away of the two Congress stalwarts and the Cabinet observed a two minute silence as a mark of respect for departed leaders.
Observing that Deshmukh`s contribution to the progress and development of the state was immense, Chavan said, "he was a popular leader with tremendous mass connect. Deshmukh`s oratory skills were legendary. He understood the state and its problems well".
Chavan remembered Kunte as a "staunch nationalist".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital