Maha celebrates Ambedkar`s birth anniversary
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Saturday led celebrations in the state on the 121st birth anniversary of Bhimrao R Ambedkar, the architect of the Indian Constitution.
Chavan visited the Ambedkar Memorial at Shivaji Park and offered floral tributes to a statue of the great leader, who was revered as the `Champion of the Masses` and was fondly known as Babasaheb.
Chavan was joined by Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, state Congress chief Manikrao Thakre, Shiv Sena leader Subhash Desai and many others.
Similar functions were held around the state, including Nagpur, Nashik and Pune.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation will host a special Ambedkar Jayanti function, while several Dalit political parties, Dalit NGOs and are conducting different events in the city on Saturday.
Major functions are also slated during the day in Pune, Pimpri-Chinchwad, Yeola near Nashik and other parts of the state to celebrate Ambedkar`s birth anniversary.
Ambedkar was born April 14, 1891 in Madhya Pradesh, to a family of Marathi origin from Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra. He worked in Baroda after his education in Mumbai, UK and the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery