Maha celebrates Ambedkar`s birth anniversary
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Saturday led celebrations in the state on the 121st birth anniversary of Bhimrao R Ambedkar, the architect of the Indian Constitution.
Chavan visited the Ambedkar Memorial at Shivaji Park and offered floral tributes to a statue of the great leader, who was revered as the `Champion of the Masses` and was fondly known as Babasaheb.
Chavan was joined by Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, state Congress chief Manikrao Thakre, Shiv Sena leader Subhash Desai and many others.
Similar functions were held around the state, including Nagpur, Nashik and Pune.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation will host a special Ambedkar Jayanti function, while several Dalit political parties, Dalit NGOs and are conducting different events in the city on Saturday.
Major functions are also slated during the day in Pune, Pimpri-Chinchwad, Yeola near Nashik and other parts of the state to celebrate Ambedkar`s birth anniversary.
Ambedkar was born April 14, 1891 in Madhya Pradesh, to a family of Marathi origin from Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra. He worked in Baroda after his education in Mumbai, UK and the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy