Maha, C’garh launch Op against Naxals
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has launched a massive manhunt for Naxals along the state’s border with Chattisgarh.
On Thursday, Naxals killed between 17 and 20 policemen in Maharashtra’s Gadchiroli district, which shares borders with Chattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh.
According to sources, the Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra Police are conducting a joint combing operation even as the encounter with Maoists continues.
Over 4000 personnel have been pressed into the operation, the sources added.
According to intelligence reports, several Maoists cadres have crossed over to Maharashtra from Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh with the intention of disrupting the assembly elections in the state.
The election is scheduled for October 13.
The State Government is reportedly concerned about the families of the policemen, killed and is working on a compensation package for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown