Maha: Chavan meets Sonia, discusses NCP`s politics
New Delhi: Maharashtra Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan on Saturday had a meeting with Congress President Sonia Gandhi amid growing concerns in the party over the NCP`s aligning with Shiv Sena in gaining control over some zilla parishads in the state.
Sources said that Chavan briefed her as well as Congress
general secretary Rahul Gandhi, whom he met separately, about the development, which has created quite an unease in party circles.
The anxiety within Congress over the development was
visible when Maharashtra Youth Congress President Vishwajeet Kadam on Saturday expressed strong displeasure over the move of Sharad Pawar`s party.
"NCP should discard its symbol of `clock` and adopt
`dagger` as a symbol for backstabbing Congress," Kadam said in Mumbai.
The comments came in the wake of NCP ousting Congress
from the Yavatmal Zilla Parishad, which the latter had
controlled since its inception.
Yavatmal is the home district of state Congress chief
Manikrao Thakre. Congress had emerged as the single largest party there, but NCP wrested control with the help of Sena.
"NCP is no longer a secular party," Kadam, who is the son
of senior Congress leader and minister Patangrao Kadam, said.
In a master stroke which could be a game changer in the
state`s politics, the NCP had left its traditional ally
Congress in the lurch to gain power in zilla parishads. The
party had joined hands with the BJP-Shiv Sena combine and
smaller local parties.
NCP won president`s and vice-president`s posts in 13 and
14 zilla parishads, while the Congress had to remain content
with 7 and four respectively. The NCP move is being seen as a well-planned strategy executed by its no-holds-barred leader and deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar.
Chavan has also met AICC-in charge for Maharashtra Mohan
Prakash as well as senior Union ministers Pranab Mukherjee, AK Antony, Ambika Soni, Salman Khurshid and Anand Sharma over pending state issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack