Maha civic poll win due to Thackeray`s "charisma": BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Friday credited its victory in
urban local bodies elections in Mumbai, Thane and Nagpur to
the "charismatic" leadersip of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray
and alleged Congress and NCP leaders had "failed" in their
attempt to wrest power from them.
"We welcome the trends which have firmed up in favour of
Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI alliance in the local elections in
Maharashtra. We have retained power and gained in Mumbai,
Nagpur and Thane. All this has been possible under the
charismatic leadersip of Balasaheb Thackeray," BJP
spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
A section within BJP was getting jittery over the last
few months over its electoral prospects in alliance with Shiv
Sena and there were attempts to make overtures to MNS chief
Raj Thackery in a desperate bid to hold on to power.
The Congress-NCP alliance has been in power in the state
Assembly for over a decade, leading to apprehensions in the
SS-BJP camp that it may lose its hold in the local bodies
"We commend SS-BJP alliance. These results have also
proved that Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has
failed and a flop. NCP boss Ajit Pawar, who is known for
muscle-flexing, has failed to get the approval of the people,"
He also hit out at Raj Thackeray, saying he has also been
"unsuccessful" in these polls.
Bouyed by the results, BJP said it was hopeful of similar
results in ongoing assembly polls in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Three low-intensity earthquakes hit Himachal Pradesh, no casualties
- SL vs AUS: How Graeme Smith and Dale Steyn ridiculed Steve Smith for heading home
- B-Town celebs send warm wishes to Shahid Kapoor and Mira Rajput on birth of their daughter!
- UN council condemns North Korea missile launches, vows new measures
- PDP, Centre not on same page, meet between Mehbooba Mufti and PM Modi critical: Defence expert