Maha civic polls: No clear winner in Akola
Akola: No party has won a clear majority
in the Akola Municipal Corporation, as the results of
yesterday`s election came in late on Friday afternoon.
Congress and BJP, with 18 seats each, are the biggest
parties in 73-member house.
Party-wise final results are as follows: Congress (18),
NCP (5), BJP (18), Shiv Sena (8), BRP-BMS Samyukta Vikas
Aghadi (7), UDF (2), Akola Vikas Aghadi (2), Samajawadi Party
(1), MNS (1), independents (11).
Suresh Patil of Congress, who was the Mayor of
Akola Corporation before it was dissolved because of financial
irregularities, had to taste defeat.
Other prominent leaders who lost included Dr Azhar
Hussain (Congress), Dr Kishor Malokar (BJP), Mahadeorao
Bundele (PWP), etc.
City Congress chief and former Mayor Madan Bhargad won by
a margin of only six votes.
The Mayor`s post this time is reserved for a scheduled
There were five couples in the fray, three of which got elected: Sunil Meshram and his wife Madhuri (independents), Sanjay Badone and his wife (independents) Vijay Agrawal and his wife Sunanda (Akola Vikas Aghadi).
- DNA: Development in India is non-existent when people are dying of thirst and hunger
- DNA: Millions of tonnes of grains in warehouses go to waste while people die of hunger
- DNA: Analysis of how issues of importance are given no leverage in Parliament
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease - PartII
- Goa MLA Atanasio Monserrate booked for raping minor
- Kasich dropping out of US presidential race: Report
- Indian woman wins gender discrimination case against Wipro in Britain
- Chopper deal: I blacklisted AgustaWestland, not UPA, says Arun Jaitley
- Israeli jets carry out raids on Gaza: Palestinian Ministry