Maha civic polls: No clear winner in Akola
Akola: No party has won a clear majority
in the Akola Municipal Corporation, as the results of
yesterday`s election came in late on Friday afternoon.
Congress and BJP, with 18 seats each, are the biggest
parties in 73-member house.
Party-wise final results are as follows: Congress (18),
NCP (5), BJP (18), Shiv Sena (8), BRP-BMS Samyukta Vikas
Aghadi (7), UDF (2), Akola Vikas Aghadi (2), Samajawadi Party
(1), MNS (1), independents (11).
Suresh Patil of Congress, who was the Mayor of
Akola Corporation before it was dissolved because of financial
irregularities, had to taste defeat.
Other prominent leaders who lost included Dr Azhar
Hussain (Congress), Dr Kishor Malokar (BJP), Mahadeorao
Bundele (PWP), etc.
City Congress chief and former Mayor Madan Bhargad won by
a margin of only six votes.
The Mayor`s post this time is reserved for a scheduled
There were five couples in the fray, three of which got elected: Sunil Meshram and his wife Madhuri (independents), Sanjay Badone and his wife (independents) Vijay Agrawal and his wife Sunanda (Akola Vikas Aghadi).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials