Maha civic polls: No clear winner in Akola
Akola: No party has won a clear majority
in the Akola Municipal Corporation, as the results of
yesterday`s election came in late on Friday afternoon.
Congress and BJP, with 18 seats each, are the biggest
parties in 73-member house.
Party-wise final results are as follows: Congress (18),
NCP (5), BJP (18), Shiv Sena (8), BRP-BMS Samyukta Vikas
Aghadi (7), UDF (2), Akola Vikas Aghadi (2), Samajawadi Party
(1), MNS (1), independents (11).
Suresh Patil of Congress, who was the Mayor of
Akola Corporation before it was dissolved because of financial
irregularities, had to taste defeat.
Other prominent leaders who lost included Dr Azhar
Hussain (Congress), Dr Kishor Malokar (BJP), Mahadeorao
Bundele (PWP), etc.
City Congress chief and former Mayor Madan Bhargad won by
a margin of only six votes.
The Mayor`s post this time is reserved for a scheduled
There were five couples in the fray, three of which got elected: Sunil Meshram and his wife Madhuri (independents), Sanjay Badone and his wife (independents) Vijay Agrawal and his wife Sunanda (Akola Vikas Aghadi).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!