Maha civic polls: No clear winner in Akola
Akola: No party has won a clear majority
in the Akola Municipal Corporation, as the results of
yesterday`s election came in late on Friday afternoon.
Congress and BJP, with 18 seats each, are the biggest
parties in 73-member house.
Party-wise final results are as follows: Congress (18),
NCP (5), BJP (18), Shiv Sena (8), BRP-BMS Samyukta Vikas
Aghadi (7), UDF (2), Akola Vikas Aghadi (2), Samajawadi Party
(1), MNS (1), independents (11).
Suresh Patil of Congress, who was the Mayor of
Akola Corporation before it was dissolved because of financial
irregularities, had to taste defeat.
Other prominent leaders who lost included Dr Azhar
Hussain (Congress), Dr Kishor Malokar (BJP), Mahadeorao
Bundele (PWP), etc.
City Congress chief and former Mayor Madan Bhargad won by
a margin of only six votes.
The Mayor`s post this time is reserved for a scheduled
There were five couples in the fray, three of which got elected: Sunil Meshram and his wife Madhuri (independents), Sanjay Badone and his wife (independents) Vijay Agrawal and his wife Sunanda (Akola Vikas Aghadi).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali