Maha civic polls: No clear winner in Akola
Akola: No party has won a clear majority
in the Akola Municipal Corporation, as the results of
yesterday`s election came in late on Friday afternoon.
Congress and BJP, with 18 seats each, are the biggest
parties in 73-member house.
Party-wise final results are as follows: Congress (18),
NCP (5), BJP (18), Shiv Sena (8), BRP-BMS Samyukta Vikas
Aghadi (7), UDF (2), Akola Vikas Aghadi (2), Samajawadi Party
(1), MNS (1), independents (11).
Suresh Patil of Congress, who was the Mayor of
Akola Corporation before it was dissolved because of financial
irregularities, had to taste defeat.
Other prominent leaders who lost included Dr Azhar
Hussain (Congress), Dr Kishor Malokar (BJP), Mahadeorao
Bundele (PWP), etc.
City Congress chief and former Mayor Madan Bhargad won by
a margin of only six votes.
The Mayor`s post this time is reserved for a scheduled
There were five couples in the fray, three of which got elected: Sunil Meshram and his wife Madhuri (independents), Sanjay Badone and his wife (independents) Vijay Agrawal and his wife Sunanda (Akola Vikas Aghadi).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- Could 3D printing save our coral reefs? - Watch
- Ranbir Kapoor has a Bollywood style icon and he is a BIGGIE!
- Yemen suicide bombing: At least 45 dead so far
- West Bengal renamed as 'Bangla' in Bengali, 'Bengal' in English; state assembly passes resolution
- Massive reef ecosystem found hiding behind Great Barrier Reef