Maha CM orders probe in abuse at women`s shelter
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has ordered a Crime Branch probe into the alleged sexual abuse of women housed in the Navjeevan Mahila Vastigruh in Mankhurd here, a state run shelter for women rescued under the Prevention of Immoral Trafficking Act.
"The Chief Minister has taken a serious note of reports about inmates being sexually abused and forced to live in sub-human living conditions," an official said.
Chavan has directed Additional Chief Secretary (Home) Amitabh Rajan to ask the Crime Branch to conduct a probe, the official said.
The Chief Minister has gone through media reportage of alleged abuse at the women`s shelter and ordered the probe, he added.
Chavan was perturbed by a media interview of a woman who came to Mumbai from Kolkata four years ago to earn a living and was working as a waitress at a city orchestra bar when police nabbed her in a raid in May and sent to the home. She spoke about the horrors she lived through once there.
On Saturday, around 60 women housed in the Navjeevan Mahila Vastigruh had tried to escape after a fight with the caretakers. Of the 36 who scaled the compound wall, 13 were caught while 23 are still at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'