Maha CM seeks Central aid to tackle drought
Nagpur: Maharashtra is looking forward to getting financial assistance of Rs 3,232 crore from the Centre to tackle the prevailing drought-like situation in the state, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said Friday.
Assuring the legislature that funds will not be a constraint in dealing with the situation, he said, "There will be no disconnection of power supply to agriculture pumps as the state is looking forward to Central assistance".
The winter session of the state legislature concluded today.
Though Chavan did not announce any financial package as expected by the Opposition, he said the state was expecting the release of Central funds of Rs 3,232 crore.
"Maharashtra is looking forward to financial aid of Rs 3,232 crore from Centre following a preliminary assessment based on the observations made by a Central team which had visited a few affected areas in Satara and Sangli districts and other places," Chavan said.
He said directions were given to divisional commissioners of Pune, Nashik and Aurangabad divisions to prepare reports with district collectors on the prevailing situation and availability of water-- both for drinking and irrigation purposes.
"They have been asked to draft an emergency plan. Besides, adequate tankers are being deployed and directives have been given not to drain out water from tankers to wells as it will have to be pumped out again," Chavan said, adding that if needed plastic water tanks would be transported on bullock carts.
He said water management was essential and directives have been issued to maintain storage till July next year.
To a question, Chavan said payments to tanker operators will be disbursed within 15 days.
On EGS, he said the work was going smoothly and is being regularly reviewed.
Chavan said district collectors would be monitoring the supply of electricity only in case of payment defaults.
"The feeder separation is helping in maintaining electricity bills of agriculture pumps," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’