Maha CM seeks Central aid to tackle drought
Nagpur: Maharashtra is looking forward to getting financial assistance of Rs 3,232 crore from the Centre to tackle the prevailing drought-like situation in the state, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said Friday.
Assuring the legislature that funds will not be a constraint in dealing with the situation, he said, "There will be no disconnection of power supply to agriculture pumps as the state is looking forward to Central assistance".
The winter session of the state legislature concluded today.
Though Chavan did not announce any financial package as expected by the Opposition, he said the state was expecting the release of Central funds of Rs 3,232 crore.
"Maharashtra is looking forward to financial aid of Rs 3,232 crore from Centre following a preliminary assessment based on the observations made by a Central team which had visited a few affected areas in Satara and Sangli districts and other places," Chavan said.
He said directions were given to divisional commissioners of Pune, Nashik and Aurangabad divisions to prepare reports with district collectors on the prevailing situation and availability of water-- both for drinking and irrigation purposes.
"They have been asked to draft an emergency plan. Besides, adequate tankers are being deployed and directives have been given not to drain out water from tankers to wells as it will have to be pumped out again," Chavan said, adding that if needed plastic water tanks would be transported on bullock carts.
He said water management was essential and directives have been issued to maintain storage till July next year.
To a question, Chavan said payments to tanker operators will be disbursed within 15 days.
On EGS, he said the work was going smoothly and is being regularly reviewed.
Chavan said district collectors would be monitoring the supply of electricity only in case of payment defaults.
"The feeder separation is helping in maintaining electricity bills of agriculture pumps," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands