Maha CM warns Shiv Sena over Thackeray memorial
Mumbai: Even as Shiv Sena continues to press for a Bal Thackeray memorial to be built at the Shivaji Park, the Congress-NCP government in Maharashtra has warned the party to vacate the Mumbai park and abide by the law.
Reports, Monday, said that the warning to Shiv Sena has come from Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan who said that Shivaji Park, a large open ground in central Mumbai, was given to the party just for Bal Thackeray`s cremation and it should now be returned to the state government.
"Shivaji Park was given for Bal Thackeray`s cremation on the grounds that it will be returned in the same condition. We want the Shiv Sena to abide by the conditions and follow the law," Chavan was quoted as saying by TV news channel IBN.
After Bala Saheb’s death, the Shiv Sena has demanded a memorial to be built at Shivaji Park in the memomry of its departed leader. Sena workers on Saturday gathered in large number at the funeral site of Bal Thackeray at Shivaji Park in Mumbai amid reports that the authorities were planning to remove the structure that has come up at the place.
"Come what may, we won`t allow the removal of the 30x30 feet chowthara (platform)," Sena legislator Eknath Shinde told reporters.
Referring to the large number of Shiv Sainiks from Mumbai, Thane and other places who had come to Shivaji Park, Shinde said they would not budge from the venue and also foil attempts to remove the structure.
Meanwhile, the Brihan Mumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) had also sent a notice to the Shiv Sena to dismantle the temporary structure built at the Shivaji Park.
BMC said that the permission to use the ground was given only for the cremation and that it should be restored to its original status as it is a reserved plot as per the city development plan.
Opposing the demand, state Congress on Saturday said no "other" memorial should come up at the sprawling ground in central Mumbai. "Shivaji Maharaj is a god for people of Maharashtra. His memorial is already there at Shivaji Park," MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre said.
The 86-year-old Sena chief was cremated on November 18 at Shivaji Park, the same ground where he had addressed his followers during Dassera rallies for over 40 years and the party is keen to have Thackeray`s memorial there.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read