Maha: Cong vows to unseat Sena-BJP in civic body
Mumbai: Vowing to end the "misrule" of Shiv
Sena-BJP combine in the civic body, Maharashtra Chief Minister
Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday said that the Congress-NCP coalition
was committed to making Mumbai a "liveable city".
Releasing the joint manifesto of the two parties as they
make a determined bid to wrest control of Brihanmumbai
Municipal Corporation from the saffron combine, Chavan said
the Sena-BJP combine was in power for the last 17 years
"We could not stitch up an alliance for the last two
civic polls because of differences. This time we made sure
that secular votes are not divided," Chavan told reporters.
He said as per a recent survey conducted in 134 cities
of the world, Mumbai occupies 117th spot.
"Due to lack of land in Mumbai, a vertical growth is
inevitable. However, due to shortage of infrastructure and
growing population, there is a hindrance. If we don`t arrest
this negative growth, Mumbai can go the Kolkata way," he said,
adding that the manifesto outlines the vision to make Mumbai a
He said the first impression anybody gets of the city is
that of congestion and slums. "We promise to take corrective
measures on this front," he added.
Chavan said the Congress-NCP alliance will ensure that
all citizens, irrespective of the language they speak and the
region they come from, will live and work here with respect
The manifesto promises administrative reforms with
greater emphasis on e-governance, besides formulation of a
five-year plan for city`s development.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!