Maha Congress against ‘another’ memorial in Shivaji Park
Mumbai: Opposing the demand by senior Shiv Sena leaders that memorial of the late Bal Thackeray be constructed at Shivaji Park here, state Congress today said no "other" memorial should come up at the sprawling ground in central Mumbai.
"Shivaji Maharaj is a god for people of Maharashtra. His memorial is already there at Shivaji Park," MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre said.
"As there is already one memorial in place, there should be no other memorial there," Thakre said, at a media briefing about a party workshop held here today for the 2014 Lok Sabha and assembly elections.
"Nobody will be allowed to take law into hands," Thakre said, in an apparent reference to statements by senior Sena leaders that no one should interfere on the issue.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had said last week that the government would not do anything in violation of the law with regard to Sena`s demand to set up the memorial at Shivaji Park.
Thackeray was cremated at Shivaji Park -- where he had addressed his followers at Dassera rallies for over 40 years -- on November 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon