Maha Congress against ‘another’ memorial in Shivaji Park
Mumbai: Opposing the demand by senior Shiv Sena leaders that memorial of the late Bal Thackeray be constructed at Shivaji Park here, state Congress today said no "other" memorial should come up at the sprawling ground in central Mumbai.
"Shivaji Maharaj is a god for people of Maharashtra. His memorial is already there at Shivaji Park," MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre said.
"As there is already one memorial in place, there should be no other memorial there," Thakre said, at a media briefing about a party workshop held here today for the 2014 Lok Sabha and assembly elections.
"Nobody will be allowed to take law into hands," Thakre said, in an apparent reference to statements by senior Sena leaders that no one should interfere on the issue.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had said last week that the government would not do anything in violation of the law with regard to Sena`s demand to set up the memorial at Shivaji Park.
Thackeray was cremated at Shivaji Park -- where he had addressed his followers at Dassera rallies for over 40 years -- on November 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch