Maha Congress against ‘another’ memorial in Shivaji Park
Mumbai: Opposing the demand by senior Shiv Sena leaders that memorial of the late Bal Thackeray be constructed at Shivaji Park here, state Congress today said no "other" memorial should come up at the sprawling ground in central Mumbai.
"Shivaji Maharaj is a god for people of Maharashtra. His memorial is already there at Shivaji Park," MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre said.
"As there is already one memorial in place, there should be no other memorial there," Thakre said, at a media briefing about a party workshop held here today for the 2014 Lok Sabha and assembly elections.
"Nobody will be allowed to take law into hands," Thakre said, in an apparent reference to statements by senior Sena leaders that no one should interfere on the issue.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had said last week that the government would not do anything in violation of the law with regard to Sena`s demand to set up the memorial at Shivaji Park.
Thackeray was cremated at Shivaji Park -- where he had addressed his followers at Dassera rallies for over 40 years -- on November 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai