Maha Congress in trouble over cash-for-rally scam
Mumbai: In what may spell more trouble for the Congress party, two of its senior leaders from Maharashtra have been caught on camera discussing how funds have been collected for party president Sonia Gandhi’s rally at Sewagram on Friday.
According to reports, the video footage shows former textile minister Satish Chaturvedi telling Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) chief Manikrao Thakre, “Finally, Chavan has fallen in line. It was not his intention to contribute. He is a miser.”
Unaware of the fact that there conversation was being recorded, the two leaders kept discussing other details about the party`s decision to raise huge funds for Sonia`s Sewagram rally.
Thakre could also be heard saying that the Maharashtra unit of Congress needs to raise huge money as it has to contribute to higher-ups in the organisation.
It has emerged that individual ministers have reportedly contributed Rs 10 lakh each while Chief Minister Ashok Chavan has himself given a whooping Rs 2 crores for the rally.
The video has brought to the fore the role of money in the ruling Congress disposition and also made it vulnerable to scathing attacks from the oposition BJP and the Shiv Sena.
Not wasting the opportunity, BJP and Shiv Sena have demanded an inquiry into the source of funds donated by the Chief Minister.
The cash-for-rally scam has sent the state and the central leadership of the Congress party in the hiding. However, Chief Minister Chavan is likely to face criticism on whether the funds donated by him actually came from the tax payers’ pocket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men