Maha Congress opposes renaming Shivaji Park as `Shiv Tirth`
Mumbai: Maharashtra Congress on Sunday dismissed as "an attempt to distort the history" the Shiv Sena`s demand of renaming Shivaji Park, where Bal Thackeray was cremated, as `Shiv Tirth`.
"Shiv Sena is trying to bring in a proposal in this regard in the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC). Congress corporators will strongly oppose renaming of Shivaji Park as `Shiv Tirth`," a statement issued by the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee here said.
The British had named the ground after Maratha warrior king Shivaji in 1927.
"Shivaji Park is named after Maratha warrior king Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. Chhatrapati Shivaji is considered as a deity by eleven crore people in the state," the statement said.
The MPCC said accepting Shiv Sena`s demand to change the nomenclature tantamount to change the historical facts in favour of Thackeray family.
Late Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray often used to address the ground located at Dadar in Central Mumbai as `Shiv Tirth` during his rallies.
Shivaji Park is embroiled in controversy over the issue of makeshift structure of late Sena patriarch. While Shiv Sena appears opposing tooth and nail razing the temporary structure, the state government has directed the civic body to remove the "Samadhi" as Shiv Sena prefers to call the structure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India