Maha Congress opposes renaming Shivaji Park as `Shiv Tirth`
Mumbai: Maharashtra Congress on Sunday dismissed as "an attempt to distort the history" the Shiv Sena`s demand of renaming Shivaji Park, where Bal Thackeray was cremated, as `Shiv Tirth`.
"Shiv Sena is trying to bring in a proposal in this regard in the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC). Congress corporators will strongly oppose renaming of Shivaji Park as `Shiv Tirth`," a statement issued by the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee here said.
The British had named the ground after Maratha warrior king Shivaji in 1927.
"Shivaji Park is named after Maratha warrior king Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. Chhatrapati Shivaji is considered as a deity by eleven crore people in the state," the statement said.
The MPCC said accepting Shiv Sena`s demand to change the nomenclature tantamount to change the historical facts in favour of Thackeray family.
Late Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray often used to address the ground located at Dadar in Central Mumbai as `Shiv Tirth` during his rallies.
Shivaji Park is embroiled in controversy over the issue of makeshift structure of late Sena patriarch. While Shiv Sena appears opposing tooth and nail razing the temporary structure, the state government has directed the civic body to remove the "Samadhi" as Shiv Sena prefers to call the structure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!