Maha Congress opposes renaming Shivaji Park as `Shiv Tirth`
Mumbai: Maharashtra Congress on Sunday dismissed as "an attempt to distort the history" the Shiv Sena`s demand of renaming Shivaji Park, where Bal Thackeray was cremated, as `Shiv Tirth`.
"Shiv Sena is trying to bring in a proposal in this regard in the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC). Congress corporators will strongly oppose renaming of Shivaji Park as `Shiv Tirth`," a statement issued by the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee here said.
The British had named the ground after Maratha warrior king Shivaji in 1927.
"Shivaji Park is named after Maratha warrior king Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. Chhatrapati Shivaji is considered as a deity by eleven crore people in the state," the statement said.
The MPCC said accepting Shiv Sena`s demand to change the nomenclature tantamount to change the historical facts in favour of Thackeray family.
Late Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray often used to address the ground located at Dadar in Central Mumbai as `Shiv Tirth` during his rallies.
Shivaji Park is embroiled in controversy over the issue of makeshift structure of late Sena patriarch. While Shiv Sena appears opposing tooth and nail razing the temporary structure, the state government has directed the civic body to remove the "Samadhi" as Shiv Sena prefers to call the structure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video