Maha Council adjourned over Chitale panel report
Mumbai: Maharashtra Legislative Council was adjourned for the day after vociferous opposition members stalled proceedings, insisting that the government discuss the report of the Madhav Chitale Committee, which probed alleged irrigation scam in the state.
Soon after the question hour, the Leader of Opposition Vinod Tawde sought a discussion on the report under rule 289 of the House.
"We apprehend that the government will table the ATR on the report on the last day of the ongoing session and avoid a discussion," he said.
Council Chairman Shivajirao Deshmukh rejected the demand for a debate on the Chitale report.
Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar said that the ATR would be tabled before the session ends.
"The ATR is ready but has to be approved by the Cabinet before it is tabled in the House," Pawar said.
The opposition members pointed out that it has been several days since the report was submitted and wondered why the ATR wasn`t approved in any of the cabinet meetings so far. They shouted slogans demanding debate on the report after which the Chairman adjourned the House for 40 minutes.
When the proceedings resumed, the opposition members continued their slogan shouting following which the House was adjourned for the day.
The Chitale panel had submitted its report to Chief Minister Prithvraj Chavan earlier this year. The report has been compiled after going through "thousands of documents" over 14 months.
Chitale, a water management expert, was appointed by the government in December 2012 to examine the alleged irregularities in the water resources department, controlled by NCP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?