Maha crisis: Will Chavan accept Ajit Pawar`s resignation?
Mumbai: In the backdrop of a political crisis facing the Congress-NCP government in Maharashtra, state’s Chief Minister Prithviraj will on Thursday hold a crucial meet with the party legislators to review the situation in the wake of Ajit pawar’s resignation as Deputy Chief Minister.
The crucial meet has been convened by the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC).
"All legislators have been asked to attend Thursday’s meeting which will be held at `Varsha`, the Chief Minister`s official residence," MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre told reporters yesterday.
He said that he requested Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) president Madhukar Pichad to restrain his party workers from burning posters of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and to stop staging agitations.
Speaking on the current political crisis in the state he said, "The whole matter is about the NCP. We are watching the developments as an audience," he added.
He rubbished reports saying that no complaints have been received to replace Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan with anybody else.
However, if sources are to be believed Chavan may soon be replaced as the state’s chief minister in the next six months.
With Ajit Pawar not willing to withdraw his resignation, it is now up to Congres to take a sdecision about leadership in the state.
However at the moment, Congress is unwilling to give in to NCP`s demand soon but the ruling party may be compelled to take some tough decisions in order to rebuild ties with NCP.
Chavan, who was a MP and the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs before he replaced Ashok Chavan as the chief minister of the state, is likely to be brought back to the Centre.
The NCP leaders have also been upset with Chavan’s style of working.
The NCP maintained that it was not on them, but up to the Congress to decide on the whether there would be a leadership change in Maharashtra.
Ajit Pawar`s resignation is also seen as a fight for supremacy in the Maharashtra unit of the NCP. Ajit Pawar, who is NCP chief Sharad Pawar`s nephew, was seen as his heir apparent and is credited with building the party`s base in the state.
But after Sharad Pawar`s daughter Supriya Sule entered politics and became an MP, Ajit`s relations with the NCP chief have deteriorated and his resignation is an attempt to show the leadership that he still commands the loyalty of the party workers and MLAs in the state. Sharad Pawar is reported to be not happy with his resignation.
Moreover, the NCP-Congress ties have been going through a roller coaster ride for the last few months as the former was against Prithviraj Chavan being made the chief minister as he is considered an outsider in state politics.
NCP leader and Union Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Minister Praful Patel yesterday said that there will be no Deputy Chief Minister`s post for the NCP in Maharashtra anymore and clarified that his party was not keen on keeping the post.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview