Maha crisis: Will Chavan accept Ajit Pawar`s resignation?
Mumbai: In the backdrop of a political crisis facing the Congress-NCP government in Maharashtra, state’s Chief Minister Prithviraj will on Thursday hold a crucial meet with the party legislators to review the situation in the wake of Ajit pawar’s resignation as Deputy Chief Minister.
The crucial meet has been convened by the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC).
"All legislators have been asked to attend Thursday’s meeting which will be held at `Varsha`, the Chief Minister`s official residence," MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre told reporters yesterday.
He said that he requested Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) president Madhukar Pichad to restrain his party workers from burning posters of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and to stop staging agitations.
Speaking on the current political crisis in the state he said, "The whole matter is about the NCP. We are watching the developments as an audience," he added.
He rubbished reports saying that no complaints have been received to replace Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan with anybody else.
However, if sources are to be believed Chavan may soon be replaced as the state’s chief minister in the next six months.
With Ajit Pawar not willing to withdraw his resignation, it is now up to Congres to take a sdecision about leadership in the state.
However at the moment, Congress is unwilling to give in to NCP`s demand soon but the ruling party may be compelled to take some tough decisions in order to rebuild ties with NCP.
Chavan, who was a MP and the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs before he replaced Ashok Chavan as the chief minister of the state, is likely to be brought back to the Centre.
The NCP leaders have also been upset with Chavan’s style of working.
The NCP maintained that it was not on them, but up to the Congress to decide on the whether there would be a leadership change in Maharashtra.
Ajit Pawar`s resignation is also seen as a fight for supremacy in the Maharashtra unit of the NCP. Ajit Pawar, who is NCP chief Sharad Pawar`s nephew, was seen as his heir apparent and is credited with building the party`s base in the state.
But after Sharad Pawar`s daughter Supriya Sule entered politics and became an MP, Ajit`s relations with the NCP chief have deteriorated and his resignation is an attempt to show the leadership that he still commands the loyalty of the party workers and MLAs in the state. Sharad Pawar is reported to be not happy with his resignation.
Moreover, the NCP-Congress ties have been going through a roller coaster ride for the last few months as the former was against Prithviraj Chavan being made the chief minister as he is considered an outsider in state politics.
NCP leader and Union Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Minister Praful Patel yesterday said that there will be no Deputy Chief Minister`s post for the NCP in Maharashtra anymore and clarified that his party was not keen on keeping the post.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow