Maha DGP expresses concern over slow conviction
Thane: Maharashtra DGP Sanjeev Dayal has stressed the need for better coordination between prosecutors and investigators to improve the poor conviction rate.
"Better coordination between police officials and legal authorities will improve the conviction rate in the state", the top cop told reporters on the sidelines of a event here on the weekend.
He was in Thane to inaugurate the 25th Maharashtra State Police Meet.
Dayal said the process of training and implementation of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) will help improving the conviction rate.
On crimes like rape, he said the officer of the ACP rank would carry out the investigation and will ensure before filing the charge sheet that the case is watertight so as to take it to its logical conclusion.
"Investigations into serious crimes against women including rape will be carried out under direct supervision of deputy commissioners of police who will ensure that the case is fool proof before filing the charge sheet", Dayal added.
The DGP said that dedicated helplines will be set up in districts and towns for women and police patrolling on streets will be increased.
The falling conviction rate in Maharashtra has been a major cause of concern.
Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil had told the Legislative Assembly last year that conviction rate in the state for 2011-12 had slumped to 8.2 per cent.
Patil had blamed the lack of coordination between prosecution and police for this.
Meanwhile, replying to a query, Dayal said whenever any person approaches police, the cops should first register his complaint if they find any merit in it and then transfer it to the concerned police station.
"If any officer is found avoiding registration of complaint under the excuse of jurisdiction, then stringent action would be taken against him", the DGP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state