Maha diamond industry wants special security
Ahmedabad: Surat Diamond Association (SDA), apex body of diamond industry here, today said there should be a special force for the security of diamond industry in the wake of serial blasts in Mumbai.
Surat is a global hub of diamond polishing industry, but both domestic and international trade takes place largely from front offices in Opera House area of Mumbai, where one of the
blasts took place.
"Through Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC), we shall demand that government constitute a special force for the industry, which has been a soft target for terror strikes," SDA President Dinesh Navadia said.
"The diamond industry needs security cover on the lines of Central Industrial Security Force," he said.
"The blast at Opera House in Mumbai where diamond units are located in buildings such as Prasad and Panchratna reveals the motive behind strikes. They are aimed to terrorise
people and disturb the highest-revenue generating sector for the country," Navadia said.
"Diamond industry was earlier targeted by the terrorists in July 2008 where eight to nine bombs were placed in Varachha and other diamond hubs of Surat. However, due to faulty IEDs they did not go off and the industry was saved," he said.
Diamond industry in Surat today observed a day-long bandh in support of the Opera house diamond market which remained closed today, he said.
A lot of SDA members own offices in Prasad and Panchratna buildings at Opera House, from where polished diamonds are supplied to domestic and overseas markets.
Regional head of Gujarat GJEPC, Chandrakant Sanghvi, said "The government should strengthen security outside the diamond markets and industry. It also needs to reconsider the internal security of the establishments."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray