Maha diamond industry wants special security
Ahmedabad: Surat Diamond Association (SDA), apex body of diamond industry here, today said there should be a special force for the security of diamond industry in the wake of serial blasts in Mumbai.
Surat is a global hub of diamond polishing industry, but both domestic and international trade takes place largely from front offices in Opera House area of Mumbai, where one of the
blasts took place.
"Through Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC), we shall demand that government constitute a special force for the industry, which has been a soft target for terror strikes," SDA President Dinesh Navadia said.
"The diamond industry needs security cover on the lines of Central Industrial Security Force," he said.
"The blast at Opera House in Mumbai where diamond units are located in buildings such as Prasad and Panchratna reveals the motive behind strikes. They are aimed to terrorise
people and disturb the highest-revenue generating sector for the country," Navadia said.
"Diamond industry was earlier targeted by the terrorists in July 2008 where eight to nine bombs were placed in Varachha and other diamond hubs of Surat. However, due to faulty IEDs they did not go off and the industry was saved," he said.
Diamond industry in Surat today observed a day-long bandh in support of the Opera house diamond market which remained closed today, he said.
A lot of SDA members own offices in Prasad and Panchratna buildings at Opera House, from where polished diamonds are supplied to domestic and overseas markets.
Regional head of Gujarat GJEPC, Chandrakant Sanghvi, said "The government should strengthen security outside the diamond markets and industry. It also needs to reconsider the internal security of the establishments."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit, a sign of anti-elite revolt: analysts
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh had a bitter fall-out on their Paris vacay? - Details inside
- Jayalalithaa urges PM Narendra Modi to get fishermen released from Sri Lanka
- 'Girl boss': Sushmita Sen's weekend getaway with her adorable daughters!
- Getting out of bad relationship good for your health