Maha: Doctor arrested for conducting illegal abortions
Beed: A local doctor was arrested for allegedly carrying out three illegal abortions, police said on Sunday.
Dr Shivaji Sanap, who runs a private maternity clinic on Jalna Road in the city, has been booked under various sections of IPC, Pre-conception and Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques (PCPNDT) Act and Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act, for abortions performed beyond five months of pregnancy.
Two female foetuses were found dumped in the dry basin of Bindusara river in the city yesterday, Superintendent of Police Dattatray Mandlik told reporters today.
He added that the abortions in these two cases had been carried out at Dr Sanap`s clinic. While one was an unmarried girl from Pune, the other was a married woman from Georai tehsil of Beed district.
According to the post-mortem report of the two female foetuses, one foetus was of eight month and six days and the other was of five months and eight days, Mandlik said.
While the unmarried girl and the woman had not been not arrested as they were being treated at a hospital, Mandlik said that the latter`s husband Ravindra Harale and her father Pratap Nanasaheb Patekar had been arrested.
Yesterday, police also held two women- Mangal Masu Dhighe (29) and Manisha Vilas Javle (28), who worked at Dr Sanap`s hospital for allegedly dumping two foetuses in the river, police said.
In addition to these two illegal abortion cases, investigation revealed another case, in which a six-month foetus of a 17-year-old unmarried girl was aborted at the same hospital, police said.
A case has been registered against the unmarried girl, her father Abhiman Jaybhay, mother Sunita and Dr Sanap, police inspector Sanjay Lohkare said.
The aborted female foetus in this case was taken to Kakad-Hira village of Patoda tehsil in the district by the parents of the girl and police recovered the foetus, which was covered in a cloth, from their house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly