Maha: Doctor arrested for conducting illegal abortions
Beed: A local doctor was arrested for allegedly carrying out three illegal abortions, police said on Sunday.
Dr Shivaji Sanap, who runs a private maternity clinic on Jalna Road in the city, has been booked under various sections of IPC, Pre-conception and Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques (PCPNDT) Act and Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act, for abortions performed beyond five months of pregnancy.
Two female foetuses were found dumped in the dry basin of Bindusara river in the city yesterday, Superintendent of Police Dattatray Mandlik told reporters today.
He added that the abortions in these two cases had been carried out at Dr Sanap`s clinic. While one was an unmarried girl from Pune, the other was a married woman from Georai tehsil of Beed district.
According to the post-mortem report of the two female foetuses, one foetus was of eight month and six days and the other was of five months and eight days, Mandlik said.
While the unmarried girl and the woman had not been not arrested as they were being treated at a hospital, Mandlik said that the latter`s husband Ravindra Harale and her father Pratap Nanasaheb Patekar had been arrested.
Yesterday, police also held two women- Mangal Masu Dhighe (29) and Manisha Vilas Javle (28), who worked at Dr Sanap`s hospital for allegedly dumping two foetuses in the river, police said.
In addition to these two illegal abortion cases, investigation revealed another case, in which a six-month foetus of a 17-year-old unmarried girl was aborted at the same hospital, police said.
A case has been registered against the unmarried girl, her father Abhiman Jaybhay, mother Sunita and Dr Sanap, police inspector Sanjay Lohkare said.
The aborted female foetus in this case was taken to Kakad-Hira village of Patoda tehsil in the district by the parents of the girl and police recovered the foetus, which was covered in a cloth, from their house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok