Maha drought: NABARD to combine its projects with rural plan
Pune: In an effort to aid drought relief measures in Maharashtra, National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) will converge its watershed development projects with Mahatma Gandhi Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MNREGS).
The proposed move -- to be implemented during fiscal 2013-14 -- will help fight the drought situation in the State, a NABARD regional office spokesman said, adding the manpower under MNREGS and funds for watershed development together could ensure faster completion of various projects.
He said as part of the NABARD programmes, warehouses and godowns, too, will be set up in rural areas of the State, where over a dozen districts are facing severe water scarcity.
"Lakhs of people in rural areas of the State seeking employment under MNREGS can get jobs in watershed development projects," the official noted.
He said NABARD has also sanctioned projects covering rural connectivity, irrigation and watershed development schemes worth Rs 10,010.63 crore, of which Rs 7,021.51 crore was disbursed during the last financial year (2012-13).
The regional office of the bank has disbursed loans to the tune of Rs 7,348.39 crore for agriculture and rural development across Maharashtra during the last fiscal which was 22 per cent higher as compared to the previous year, the official added.
Last month, the Centre approved a Rs 1,207-crore drought relief package to Maharashtra. Of it, Rs 807 crore will be released under the National Disaster Relief Fund to 3,905 villages where drought has affected rabi crops.
The rest Rs 400 crore will be released under the National Horticulture Mission to 1,100 villages where drought has hit kharif crops.
Buldhana, Latur, Osmanabad, Nanded, Aurangabad, Jalna, Jalgaon, Dhule, Ahmednagar and Satara are some of the worst drought-hit districts in the State.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly