Maha: Eighteen killed as bus plunges into river
Buldhana: As many as 18 passengers were killed and 18 others injured Wednesday when a Maharashtra state transport bus plunged into the Purna river, police said.
"So far, we have got details stating that at least 18 people were killed and as many others injured. The figures of those killed are likely to go up as some of those injured are critical," an official said.
The bus was on a regular Shegaon-Paturda service carrying around 45 passengers, including several school students, an official of Buldhana police control said.
Around 11 a.m., when it was negotiating the Khiroda bridge on the fast-flowing Purna river, it suddenly plunged into the swirling waters.
The district authorities immediately dispatched a crane and rescue workers for rescue and relief operations, and at least 20 passengers trapped inside the bus were pulled out, the official said.
Buldhana, famous for its crater created by a meteorite hit, the Lonar Lake, is situated around 550 km to the east of Mumbai in Vidarbha region.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram