Maha: Eighteen killed as bus plunges into river
Buldhana: As many as 18 passengers were killed and 18 others injured Wednesday when a Maharashtra state transport bus plunged into the Purna river, police said.
"So far, we have got details stating that at least 18 people were killed and as many others injured. The figures of those killed are likely to go up as some of those injured are critical," an official said.
The bus was on a regular Shegaon-Paturda service carrying around 45 passengers, including several school students, an official of Buldhana police control said.
Around 11 a.m., when it was negotiating the Khiroda bridge on the fast-flowing Purna river, it suddenly plunged into the swirling waters.
The district authorities immediately dispatched a crane and rescue workers for rescue and relief operations, and at least 20 passengers trapped inside the bus were pulled out, the official said.
Buldhana, famous for its crater created by a meteorite hit, the Lonar Lake, is situated around 550 km to the east of Mumbai in Vidarbha region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites