Maha: Father, uncle booked for dishonour killing
Mumbai: A court in Maharashtra`s Jalgaon district Monday remanded a tribal girl`s father and uncle in police custody for murdering her because she was in love with a boy from a different caste, police said.
According to police, the victim, Manisha Dhangar, in early 20s, was allegedly strangulated by her father, uncle and grandmother her in her sleep at their Pathari village in Jalgaon. While the honour killing took place March 12, it has come to light only now, say police.
Police arrested Manisha`s father Yuvraj and uncle Rama Saturday. "We produced them in the court Monday and they have been remanded in police custody till April 12," an official from Jalgaon district`s MIDC Police Station said.
Police said Manisha`s family was angry over her affair with Sandeep Patil, "a boy from a different caste (Maratha)", who was their neighbour.
"According to villagers, Sandeep and Manisha had decided to elope and marry as they faced opposition from Manisha`s family. But her family members allegedly killed her after they got wind of it," the official said.
"After killing Manisha, her father and uncle took her body and dumped it almost 30 km away from their village," he added.
Police had, however, received an anonymous phone call and a letter saying Manisha had been missing from her village and that her family members were behaving in a suspicious manner.
"We had then made inquiries about the case and found that her family had not registered a missing person`s complaint. After interrogation, her father and uncle narrated the entire story and confessed to the murder," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'