Maha gives ultimatum to striking lecturers
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government today asked the striking lecturers, affiliated to the Maharashtra Federation of University College Teachers Union (MFUCTU), to return to work by Friday or face action.
Higher and Technical Education Minister Rajesh Tope told reporters after a meeting of vice chancellors of all universities that even though the professors resumed duty and started assessing examination papers, the work could still be completed by June 10.
He said 50 per cent of the paper evaluation work in the universities of Mumbai, Nagpur and Aurangabad is completed, while at Solapur, Amravati, Jalgaon and Pune universities 15 to 20 per cent of the work is done in arts, commerce and science colleges.
According to the minister, 90 per cent of the striking lecturers are from private-aided colleges who are appointed by the management.
Notices will be issued to the managements as well as the lecturers if they do not report by Friday.
"Government holds the powers to stop the salaries," he added.
Tope said the government had directed the vice chancellors to ensure that students are not adversely affected in anyway.
Speaking about the demands of the striking MFUCTU professors, Tope said the government has agreed to pay the cash component of Rs 431 crore of the last ten months as part of the Sixth Pay Commission in two installments.
"The first (installment) will be paid in July while the second in April-May next year," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof