Maha govt against CBI probe in J Dey case
Mumbai: Arguing that the city police has
done substantial investigation in the murder case of senior
journalist Jyotirmoy Dey, Maharashtra government on Tuesday opposed
petitions filed in the Bombay High Court seeking transfer of
probe to CBI.
"The Crime Branch of city police has probed the matter.
The investigation is almost coming to an end. The stringent
provisions of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act
(MCOCA) have been applied against the eight arrested accused,"
Advocate General Ravi Kadam argued.
A division bench of Justices Ranjana Desai and R V More
was hearing a bunch of public interest litigations filed by
advocate V P Patil, journalist S Balakrishnan and Press Club,
Mumbai, seeking CBI probe into the murder.
The advocate general told the court that only
"exceptional" cases which require special expertise and
knowledge is handed over to an independent agency like CBI.
"The petitioners have not placed any material to
substantiate their prayer to transfer the case to CBI," Kadam
Referring to allegations made by the petitioners that the
police may not conduct a fair investigation as Dey had during
his career written several stories revealing the nexus between
police and underworld, Kadam said, "No specific allegation has
been specified against the investigating police team. Just
because of one black sheep the image of the entire police
force cannot be marred."
The bench, after hearing the arguments, reserved its
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog