Maha govt against handing over Maval case to CID
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government on Tuesday informed the Bombay High Court that it was not inclined to transfer probe in the Maval firing incident to the state Crime Investigation Department (CID) as suggested by the court.
Public prosecutor Pandurang Pol told a division bench,
headed by Justice S A Bobade, that they were opposing transfer
of the investigation to CID since the government has already
appointed a deputy superintendent (DySP) of another district
to probe the incident.
DySP of Daund district S L Kengar has been appointed as
the investigation officer to probe the incident of August 9
where police had opened fire on agriculturists who were
protesting against government`s decision to lay a closed pipe
line to supply water from Pavna dam to the limits of Pimpri-
Chinchwad Municipal Corporation. According to the protestors,
due to the project they would not get water for their crops.
Three agitators died and 19 were injured in the incident.
According to an affidavit filed by Sudhakar Chavan,
deputy secretary, home department, 45 police officers and 20
personnel of SRPF were also injured.
A judicial commission headed by retired judge M G Gaikwad
has been set up to look into the incident, the affidavit said.
Another affidavit filed by Kengar states that he has
already begun investigation and recorded statements of 49
witnesses. The police are in the process of obtaining video
clippings taken by people on their mobile phone when their
vehicles were passing through Maval when the incident took
Following orders of the Judicial Magistrate First Class,
Maval, FIR was lodged against police officers and weapons were
also seized, adds Kengar`s affidavit.
The court has adjourned the matter for hearing on
December 22 to see progress in the investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp