Maha govt announces SIT probe into irrigation scam
Nagpur: The Maharashtra government on Monday announced a probe by Special Investigation Team (SIT) into the alleged multi-crore irrigation scam.
"The SIT probe will be headed by Madhav Chitaley, an irrigation expert, and the terms and references of the probe would be finalised by December 31," Minister for Water Resources Sunil Tatkare told the state Assembly here today, in presence of Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan in the House.
The Opposition had stalled the proceedings of House last week while demanding a probe by SIT following a white paper presented by the state government on irrigation projects in the state, particularly Vidarbha.
Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse, while welcoming the SIT probe, demanded that the terms and references be made known and also demanded that the officers allegedly facing corruption charges should be excluded from the probe team.
Quoting speeches of the then member and now NCP president Madhukar Pichad, Khadse said when the probe was launched against the saffron combine government with Mahadeorao Shivankar, the then irrigation minister, Pichad had asked Shivankar to refrain from probe since he was a minister, for a fair probe.
Khadse demanded that a similar practice should be adopted now.
MNS group leader Bala Nandgaokar and PWP`s Ganpatrao Deshmukh also welcomed the probe and demanded that a time frame be set to finalise the report.
Khadse said since PILs were pending before the High Court over the alleged scam, if the government informs the court about the institution of SIT, it would help and the probe may be conducted according to HC guidelines.
Tatkare also informed the House that the probe will not be a hurdle in completion of pending projects in the state.
Following allegations of irregularities in the irrigation projects in the state, NCP leader Ajit Pawar had resigned as the Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
However, after the government presented the white paper over the projects, Pawar returned to the state Cabinet as Deputy Chief Minister earlier this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days