Maha govt assures CID probe into Dalit youth suicide case
Gadchiroli: A CID probe will be conducted into the alleged suicide of a Dalit youth in Katli village in the district on March 14 following police harassment, Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil has assured the victim`s family.
Rekha Goradwar, mother of the victim Sachin Goradwar, and others met Patil at the government guest house here Tuesday evening and presented him with a memorandum demanding stringent action against the policemen involved in the case.
"A CID probe will be carried out into Sachin`s death," Patil told them.
"The Home Department has also drawn a policy according to which CID probes would be conducted if an accused dies in police custody," Patil said.
On March 13, police had raided her house on suspicion that Sachin sold illicit liquor in the house. When Sachin denied selling any liquor, policemen allegedly beat him up as well as his mother and two sisters when they tried to intervene, after which the police took Sachin away in a police vehicle, the memorandum said.
After some time, Sachin was brought to his house. Soon after, he committed suicide by jumping into a nearby well as he could not tolerate harassment of his mother and sisters at the hands of the police, it added.
The victim`s mother has demanded that the policemen responsible for the incident should be dismissed from service and offence be registered against them. She has also demanded compensation of Rs 25 lakh from the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31