Maha govt assures CID probe into Dalit youth suicide case
Gadchiroli: A CID probe will be conducted into the alleged suicide of a Dalit youth in Katli village in the district on March 14 following police harassment, Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil has assured the victim`s family.
Rekha Goradwar, mother of the victim Sachin Goradwar, and others met Patil at the government guest house here Tuesday evening and presented him with a memorandum demanding stringent action against the policemen involved in the case.
"A CID probe will be carried out into Sachin`s death," Patil told them.
"The Home Department has also drawn a policy according to which CID probes would be conducted if an accused dies in police custody," Patil said.
On March 13, police had raided her house on suspicion that Sachin sold illicit liquor in the house. When Sachin denied selling any liquor, policemen allegedly beat him up as well as his mother and two sisters when they tried to intervene, after which the police took Sachin away in a police vehicle, the memorandum said.
After some time, Sachin was brought to his house. Soon after, he committed suicide by jumping into a nearby well as he could not tolerate harassment of his mother and sisters at the hands of the police, it added.
The victim`s mother has demanded that the policemen responsible for the incident should be dismissed from service and offence be registered against them. She has also demanded compensation of Rs 25 lakh from the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested