Maha govt assures CID probe into Dalit youth suicide case
Gadchiroli: A CID probe will be conducted into the alleged suicide of a Dalit youth in Katli village in the district on March 14 following police harassment, Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil has assured the victim`s family.
Rekha Goradwar, mother of the victim Sachin Goradwar, and others met Patil at the government guest house here Tuesday evening and presented him with a memorandum demanding stringent action against the policemen involved in the case.
"A CID probe will be carried out into Sachin`s death," Patil told them.
"The Home Department has also drawn a policy according to which CID probes would be conducted if an accused dies in police custody," Patil said.
On March 13, police had raided her house on suspicion that Sachin sold illicit liquor in the house. When Sachin denied selling any liquor, policemen allegedly beat him up as well as his mother and two sisters when they tried to intervene, after which the police took Sachin away in a police vehicle, the memorandum said.
After some time, Sachin was brought to his house. Soon after, he committed suicide by jumping into a nearby well as he could not tolerate harassment of his mother and sisters at the hands of the police, it added.
The victim`s mother has demanded that the policemen responsible for the incident should be dismissed from service and offence be registered against them. She has also demanded compensation of Rs 25 lakh from the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends