Maha govt cancels licenses of 18 children`s shelte
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government has cancelled the licenses of 18 children`s shelter homes in Marathwada region after scrutiny of over 500 such premises.
"This is in addition to cancellation of licenses of 70 such homes in the rest of the state recently," officials in the Women and Child Welfare Department said.
According to the officials, 99 special squads set up to look into the functioning of children`s shelter homes in Marathwada region earlier this month, submitted their reports to the Commissioner of women and child welfare department last week.
"After the scrutiny of the reports, the commissioner ordered cancellation of licenses of 18 shelter homes. Scrutiny of other cases is in progress," the officials informed.
The special squads to probe the functioning of the shelter homes were set up following complaints of lack of basic facilities for the inmates, irregularities in the construction of the shelter home buildings, actual number of inmates admitted, for which, government funds are sought among others.
There are about 1,100 children shelter homes in the state, out of which, the largest number-- 595, are in the Marathwada region.
Children from the age group of six to 18, who need care and protection irrespective of whether they are orphaned or not, are enrolled in these shelter homes. The decision to enrol such inmates in the shelter homes is taken by the child welfare committee at the district level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj