Maha govt committed to tackling drought situation: Governor
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government is fully committed to taking additional measures for tackling water scarcity situation, Governor K Sankaranarayanan said today.
He was addressing a joint sitting of the Maharashtra Legislature after the Budget session began here today.
"Failure of monsoon for second consecutive year has been a matter of deep concern for the state government," the Governor said.
"In February 2012, only 230 tankers were supplying drinking water, while in the current year by the end of February, the number is now nearly ten-fold at 2,136 tankers.
"Various schemes for supply of drinking water in the scarcity areas, including supply through tankers in 1,663 villages and 4,490 hamlets, have been implemented and during current financial year the state has so far spent Rs 414 crore on emergency measures to provide drinking water," he said.
"Nearly 11,801 villages of the state are facing drought, some of them during second consecutive year resulting into acute shortage of fodder. The government has opened 554 cattle camps to provide fodder and at present more than 4.5 lakh animals are in such camps.
"During current financial year, the state has so far spent Rs 749 crore for fodder. Labour attendance on relief works is as high as 2 lakh. The state government is fully committed to take additional measures for tackling scarcity situation," he said.
Jat and Aatpadi talukas (in western Maharashtra) have been facing acute drinking water scarcity. To overcome this situation, the government has decided to provide water from Mhaisal and Tembhu lift irrigation schemes, through canal, the Governor said.
"Similarly, a decision to pay the bills of Takari,
Mhaisal, Tembhu, Purandar, Urmodi, Janai-Sirsai and Mukatainagar lift irrigation schemes from the scarcity relief funds has been taken. This will ensure continuous supply of water to these areas," he said.
To mitigate the drought situation, the government has taken up a massive programme of fodder development with an outlay of nearly Rs 95 crore under various schemes, he said.
More than 3 lakh hectare area has been brought under fodder crops. Estimated production is 60 lakh tonnes of green fodder in drought affected areas during kharif, rabi and summer season.
"To mitigate the impact of drought and to give higher compensation and financial help to farmers, the `National Agriculture Insurance Scheme` (NAIS) is being implemented in the state," he said.
In rabi season of 2012-13, the government has increased indemnity level from 60 per cent to 80 per cent for all major crops.
"It is expected that the state would have highest coverage of rabi crop area this year and record number of farmers would get the benefit of the insurance," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo