Maha Govt for ban on portable sonography machines
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Legislative Council
on Wednesday discussed the issue of female foeticide and mulled a ban
on portable sonography machines.
"Sonography machines were seized by conducting raids and
sting operations at many places recently," Minister of State
for Health Fauzia Khan said, adding that the government was
contemplating a ban on the portable sonography machines.
The Minister said a three-pronged approach was required to
curb female foeticide.
"A district-level task force would be formed to take
review of the situation. Also, impact analysis would be done
through external agencies to find out, which schemes were
beneficial for the women," she added.
NCP MLC Vinayak Mete, who had moved the proposal to hold
a discussion on the issue, said the government should invoke
section 302 (Murder) of the IPC against the culprits.
The Minister said her Department would seek opinion of
Law and Judiciary in this regard.
Shiv Sena MCL Neelam Gorhe, MLC Vidya Chavan, Alka Desai,
Congress MLC Bhai Jagtap and various other MLCs participated
in the discussion.
The Assembly had discussed the issue a few days ago, with
some MLAs favouring pressing for murder charges against guilty
parents and doctors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi