Maha Govt is repressing anti-Jaitapur movement: Ex-SC judge
Mumbai: Terming the arrests of those opposing
the upcoming Jaitapur nuclear power plant in Konkan region as
"repression", a former Supreme Court judge on Wednesday said
activists would go ahead with a public hearing by the Indian
People’s Tribunal on Environment and Human Rights.
"We fear this (the arrests) is an attempt to scuttle the
proposed hearing by the Indian People?s Tribunal at Mithgavane
village on March 6 and 7," said former Supreme Court Judge, P
To protest against the "injustice", social organizations
are holding a public hearing on the proposed nuclear power
plant, which will be presided over by Justice (retd) A P Shah
and Justice Sawant.
"Notices have already been sent to government officials,
ministers and concerned authorities to attend the tribunal and
present their side of the matter. We appeal to the government
and other concerned ministers to answer our queries on the
safety issue through this tribunal," Sawant added.
The Tribunal has support of several NGOs, including
Janhit Seva Samiti (JSS), Konkan Vinashkari Prakalp Bachao
Samiti (KVPBS), Human Rights Law (HRL), Lok Shasan Andolan
(LSA), Indian Environment Movement (IEM), Lokayat, Bharatiya
Pariyavaran (BP) and Konkan Urja Prakalap Samiti.
"The Jaitapur project could be risky because of the
untested design of Areva?s European Pressurised Reactor. The
design has not been cleared by nuclear regulators anywhere but
India still wants to install it," Sawant alleged.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case