Maha Govt lays down guidelines to set up police stations
Mumbai: Places where maximum economic
offences and cyber crimes occur, places where maximum encorachments on government lands takes place, and places where VIPs and protected persons reside are some of the
criteria for setting up new police stations in Maharashtra.
"The state government has laid down 16 guidelines for
setting up new police stations," Pravin Dixit, IPS, Principal
Secretary, Home said.
The guidelines, stipulated in a Government Resolution,
will do away with the present guidelines, formulated way back
in January 1960, he said.
They are expected to help determine the procedure of
augmenting the number of police stations in Maharashtra. There
are 1023 police stations in the state, including 110 in
Mumbai, he said.
"We have asked all police units, including
commissionerates and SP offices, to prepare a master plan as
per the guidelines and submit it by June 30," the senior IPS
The new guidelines were decided at a meeting of senior
officials held here in March. It took into account reports
prepared by the Union Home Ministry from time to time, he
The guildelines specify that the distance between two
police stations should not exceed 10 km in rural areas and 4
km in urban areas.
Prominent criteria to set up police stations include
places where crimes like drug addiction and juvenile offences
take place, high density areas, large shrines, and tourist
spots. Places where there is high traffic density and frequent
accidents have also been included.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why