Maha Govt lays down guidelines to set up police stations
Mumbai: Places where maximum economic
offences and cyber crimes occur, places where maximum encorachments on government lands takes place, and places where VIPs and protected persons reside are some of the
criteria for setting up new police stations in Maharashtra.
"The state government has laid down 16 guidelines for
setting up new police stations," Pravin Dixit, IPS, Principal
Secretary, Home said.
The guidelines, stipulated in a Government Resolution,
will do away with the present guidelines, formulated way back
in January 1960, he said.
They are expected to help determine the procedure of
augmenting the number of police stations in Maharashtra. There
are 1023 police stations in the state, including 110 in
Mumbai, he said.
"We have asked all police units, including
commissionerates and SP offices, to prepare a master plan as
per the guidelines and submit it by June 30," the senior IPS
The new guidelines were decided at a meeting of senior
officials held here in March. It took into account reports
prepared by the Union Home Ministry from time to time, he
The guildelines specify that the distance between two
police stations should not exceed 10 km in rural areas and 4
km in urban areas.
Prominent criteria to set up police stations include
places where crimes like drug addiction and juvenile offences
take place, high density areas, large shrines, and tourist
spots. Places where there is high traffic density and frequent
accidents have also been included.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- ICC likely to make 12-team main draw in 2018 World T20
- 50,000 fans register for Xiaomi Mi Max launch event
- Euro 2016: Despite another failure, Spain reluctant to change 'tiki-taka' style of play
- 'We're ready to execute our plans' - Chilling details emerge as NIA busts 'ISIS' terror module
- Animals owe their social sense to their maternal side!