Maha Govt lays down guidelines to set up police stations
Mumbai: Places where maximum economic
offences and cyber crimes occur, places where maximum encorachments on government lands takes place, and places where VIPs and protected persons reside are some of the
criteria for setting up new police stations in Maharashtra.
"The state government has laid down 16 guidelines for
setting up new police stations," Pravin Dixit, IPS, Principal
Secretary, Home said.
The guidelines, stipulated in a Government Resolution,
will do away with the present guidelines, formulated way back
in January 1960, he said.
They are expected to help determine the procedure of
augmenting the number of police stations in Maharashtra. There
are 1023 police stations in the state, including 110 in
Mumbai, he said.
"We have asked all police units, including
commissionerates and SP offices, to prepare a master plan as
per the guidelines and submit it by June 30," the senior IPS
The new guidelines were decided at a meeting of senior
officials held here in March. It took into account reports
prepared by the Union Home Ministry from time to time, he
The guildelines specify that the distance between two
police stations should not exceed 10 km in rural areas and 4
km in urban areas.
Prominent criteria to set up police stations include
places where crimes like drug addiction and juvenile offences
take place, high density areas, large shrines, and tourist
spots. Places where there is high traffic density and frequent
accidents have also been included.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics