Maha govt mulls financial aid for rape, acid attack victims
Mumbai: Taking serious cognisance of rising cases of rape and acid attacks, the Maharashtra government is planning to bear their expenses for medical and legal aid, counselling and rehabilitation.
Under the `Peedit Mahila Navjeevan Yojana`, the government plans to provide financial assistance of Rs two lakh to the victims to fight their case to seek justice and also rehabilitation.
The women and child welfare department has prepared the proposal for approval by the Cabinet.
As soon as the case of attack is reported, Rs 20,000 financial aid would be provided. For legal and medical aid, Rs 50,000 would be given. Later, for the victim`s rehabilitation Rs 1.30 lakh would be provided, department officials told PTI.
"The entire amount will be deposited in the victim`s bank account in a phased manner," sources added.
The proposal prepared by the department has been forwarded to the finance ministry for approval. "It is expected to be taken up for discussion in the next Cabinet meeting," the sources said.
For disbursal of the funds, a board will be set up in all districts which will be headed by the collector. Similarly, a state rehabilitation board will be set up headed by the women and child welfare secretary as its chairperson to monitor the scheme.
In 2011, 1,701 cases of rape and acid attacks were reported in the state while in 2012 till September, 1,415 such cases have come to light, sources informed.
"For domestic violence and abuse victims, there are welfare schemes of the government. But, this kind of violence demoralises women. Efforts are needed to instill confidence in them," sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days