Maha govt mulls financial aid for rape, acid attacks
Mumbai: Taking serious cognisance of rising cases of rape and acid attacks, the Maharashtra government is planning to bear their expenses for medical and legal aid, counselling and rehabilitation.
Under the `Peedit Mahila Navjeevan Yojana`, the government plans to provide financial assistance of Rs two lakh to the victims to fight their case to seek justice and also rehabilitation.
The women and child welfare department has prepared the proposal for approval by the Cabinet.
As soon as the case of attack is reported, Rs 20,000 financial aid would be provided. For legal and medical aid, Rs 50,000 would be given. Later, for the victim`s rehabilitation Rs 1.30 lakh would be provided, department officials said.
"The entire amount will be deposited in the victim`s bank account in a phased manner," sources added.
The proposal prepared by the department has been forwarded to the finance ministry for approval. "It is expected to be taken up for discussion in the next Cabinet meeting," the sources said.
For disbursal of the funds, a board will be set up in all districts which will be headed by the collector. Similarly, a state rehabilitation board will be set up headed by the women and child welfare secretary as its chairperson to monitor the scheme.
In 2011, 1,701 cases of rape and acid attacks were reported in the state while in 2012 till September, 1,415 such cases have come to light, sources informed.
"For domestic violence and abuse victims, there are welfare schemes of the government. But, this kind of violence demoralises women. Efforts are needed to instill confidence in them," sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’