Maha govt orders judicial probe into Dhule riots
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government on Tuesday ordered a judicial probe into the recent communal riots in Dhule, a city in North Maharashtra.
The announcement was made by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, who toured Dhule to take a review of the law and order situation.
Chavan said the inquiry will be conducted by a retired judge, who would be requested to submit the report at the earliest.
The chief minister gave an assurance that innocent people will not be harmed during the investigations.
Six people had died and over 100 injured in the riots, which took place on January 6.
The probe will cover the reasons of the communal flareup and steps to be taken to prevent such incidents.
Kin of those killed in Dhule riots will be given Rs five lakh compensation, Rs three lakh for permanently handicapped.
He also assured quick rehabilitation of people who lost their property. Chavan has asked the district collector to submit a report at the earliest.
Chavan observed that the district administration in Dhule had controlled the riots well and prevented the tension from spreading to other parts of the city.
Home Minister RR Patil said homes were burnt by throwing fire balls. "This is not done. Poverty and unemployment are also causes of violence and the administration has to work in this direction as well," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India