Maha govt orders probe into `leak` of CAG report
Mumbai: Crime Branch of Mumbai Police will probe into the "leak" of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report into the media even before it was officially tabled in the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly on Tuesday.
"Mumbai Crime Branch will inquire into how important official documents find their way into the media in the form of a CD even before they are officially tabled in the legislature," Home Minister R R Patil told the Lower House amid din by the Opposition members.
The report, allegedly indicting senior politicians from the state, was today tabled in the Lower House by deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar.
Patil further said that the probe report will be tabled in the next legislature session, while appealing to BJP MLA Devendra Phadanvis to cooperate with the investigations.
Phandavis had handed over the CD of the leaked report to Speaker Dilip Walse Patil a few days ago.
"Like CAG, the legislative assembly too is a constitutional body. Constitutional bodies do not interfere into each others` rights and powers. But, it is noticed that the privileges of the legislative assembly are often violated," Patil said.
The home minister also urged the Speaker to treat the leak suo motu as "breach of privilege of the assembly".
Welcoming the probe ordered by the state government into leak, opposition leader Eknath Khadse said the government was yet to trace the file pertaining to the Adarsh Housing scam which went missing from the Urban Development Department last year.
Meanwhile, Industries Minister and senior Congress leader Narayan Rane said that he would move a privilege motion against dailies Loksatta and Samna, and news channels Star Maza and IBN-Lokmat regarding the leak of the report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?