Maha govt questions CBI probe into Adarsh scam
Mumbai: In an interesting twist in the Adarsh Housing Society scam, the Maharashtra government on Wednesday filed an affidavit in the Bombay High Court questioning the Central Bureau of Investigation`s (CBI) jurisdiction in investigating the case.
The filing of the affidavit by the Maharashtra comes government comes at a time when the central probe agency is also expected to file its first chargesheet in the case later today.
In its submission before the Bombay High Court, the state government claimed that it had never asked for an inquiry by the CBI in the first place.
The scam had fuelled a political storm in Maharashtra that led to the resignation of Ashok Chavan as chief minister. Chavan is among the 14 accused in the case in which Union ministers Vilasrao Deshmukh and Sushilkumar Shinde are also under the scanner.
Last minute bureaucratic hitch in granting sanctions yesterday delayed CBI`s chargesheet in the multi-crore rupees Adarsh Housing scam which is now expected to be filed today.
While the CBI officially remained tight-lipped about the delay, sources in the agency said some sanctions against officials involved in the case were yet to come from the Department of Personnel.
The sanction is likely to come today and the agency may go ahead and file the chargesheet in the case against some of the members of upscale society.
The CBI has registered a case on January 29 last year against Chavan and 13 others which included bureaucrats and retired army personnel.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender