Maha govt ready to hold dialogue with Naxals: Patil
Mumbai: Maharashtra government is ready to hold talks with those involved in Naxal activities, and also their sympathisers, Home Minister RR Patil said here on Thursday.
"The state government is ready to engage in a dialogue with people who are directly or indirectly involved in Naxal activities or with those who are supporting Naxal ideologies in urban areas," Patil said, replying to a point of propriety raised by MLC Kapil Patil in the Legislative Council.
The minister also said that the government would lend all possible support to these people and take care of their rehabilitation.
"Government is even ready to provide protection to them. These people should come into the mainstream," Patil urged.
Stating that Naxalism is a socio-economic issue, Patil told legislators in the Upper House that 3-4 districts in the state are Naxal-infested.
"Because of non-development in these areas, unemployment is on a rise. These people live below poverty line and their per capita is very low. And those who are unemployed, they take up guns and become Naxalites," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued