Maha govt ready to hold dialogue with Naxals: Patil
Mumbai: Maharashtra government is ready to hold talks with those involved in Naxal activities, and also their sympathisers, Home Minister RR Patil said here on Thursday.
"The state government is ready to engage in a dialogue with people who are directly or indirectly involved in Naxal activities or with those who are supporting Naxal ideologies in urban areas," Patil said, replying to a point of propriety raised by MLC Kapil Patil in the Legislative Council.
The minister also said that the government would lend all possible support to these people and take care of their rehabilitation.
"Government is even ready to provide protection to them. These people should come into the mainstream," Patil urged.
Stating that Naxalism is a socio-economic issue, Patil told legislators in the Upper House that 3-4 districts in the state are Naxal-infested.
"Because of non-development in these areas, unemployment is on a rise. These people live below poverty line and their per capita is very low. And those who are unemployed, they take up guns and become Naxalites," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price