Maha govt ready to hold dialogue with Naxals: Patil
Mumbai: Maharashtra government is ready to hold talks with those involved in Naxal activities, and also their sympathisers, Home Minister RR Patil said here on Thursday.
"The state government is ready to engage in a dialogue with people who are directly or indirectly involved in Naxal activities or with those who are supporting Naxal ideologies in urban areas," Patil said, replying to a point of propriety raised by MLC Kapil Patil in the Legislative Council.
The minister also said that the government would lend all possible support to these people and take care of their rehabilitation.
"Government is even ready to provide protection to them. These people should come into the mainstream," Patil urged.
Stating that Naxalism is a socio-economic issue, Patil told legislators in the Upper House that 3-4 districts in the state are Naxal-infested.
"Because of non-development in these areas, unemployment is on a rise. These people live below poverty line and their per capita is very low. And those who are unemployed, they take up guns and become Naxalites," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack: Official
- Hungary to build second fence on border with Serbia to keep out migrants
- Curfew in several areas of Kashmir ahead of planned march
- No ''tech traces'' of American University attack found: Pakistan to Afghanistan
- Intex unveils Cloud Tread smartphone for multi-taskers at Rs 4,999