Maha Govt rejects Kasab`s Rs 19 cr security bill
Mumbai: Maharashtra government has refused to foot the Rs 19.28 crore bill sent by ITBP towards reimbursing expenses for guarding 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Kasab lodged in the Arthur Road jail in Mumbai and wants Centre to waive the amount.
Home Minister RR Patil on Wednesday said the state government has requested Centre to waive the Rs.19.28 crore bill sent to it by the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), a central para military force.
"What Kasab and his associates did is an attack not only on Mumbai but an attack on India and it is unfair to ask the state government alone to bear the burden," Patil told the Legislative Council.
Home Minister RR Patil said the state government has requested Centre to waive the bill.
He was replying to a query raised by Shiv Sena member Ramdas Kadam during a discussion on calling attention motion.
The Home Minister said the state government has been making payments towards food and medical care of Kasab, besides the salaries of the state policemen guarding him.
"Rs 5.25 crore was spent on the foolproof jail structure where the Pakistani terrorist is lodged. Apart from it, the government has spent Rs 34,975 on food, Rs 28,066 on medical facility, Rs 1.22 crore on the salary disbursed to the policemen guarding the jail where Kasab is kept," Patil said.
The ITPB was deployed in the jail in the run-up to the 26/11 trial, held in a special sessions court set up in the jail premises.
In 2010, the home department sought an extension for the deployment of the ITBP which comprised around 200 commandos, armed with sophisticated weaponry and communication equipment, for guarding 24x7 the lone surviving Pakistani gunman in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...