Maha govt seeks Aamir`s support to save girl child
Mumbai: Even as 27 doctors have so far been convicted for violating the PCPNDT Act, the Maharashtra government has sought the support of Bollywood star Aamir Khan in their campaign against sex determination and female foeticide.
In a letter to Khan, state Health Minister Suresh Shetty, while highlighting the steps taken by the government in this regard, congratulated him on raising the issue of female foeticide in his TV show `Satyamev Jayate`.
The programme (`Satyamev Jayate`) on female foeticide has been able to generate an overwhelming response from all sections of the society and will go a long way in complimenting the state government`s efforts to address the issue, he said in the letter.
"As many as 27 doctors and four family members have been convicted with fine and imprisonment in 25 cases under the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PCPNDT) Act in Maharashtra. Four doctors have been deregistered from the state medical council and names of 40 doctors have been submitted to the council for deregistration after charges against them were framed under the Act," he mentioned.
In the recent past, Maharashtra has seen landmark convictions for advertisement, improper maintenance of records and revealing sex of the foetus to decoy clients, Shetty said.
Maharashtra was the first state where bail of four doctors was rejected during judicial proceedings, he said, adding that so far, 317 cases have been registered against sonography centres.
He said the state was also first in issuing guidelines and providing funds to NGOs for conducting "sting operations on erring doctors."
"So far, 34 sting operations have been conducted involving decoy clients. Seven doctors have been convicted with fine and imprisonment for revealing sex of the foetus to the decoy clients. Other cases are awaiting trial in the court," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!