`Maha govt shd have intel network on lines of IB`
Mumbai: Emphasising the need for strong
intelligence inputs, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil on Wednesday
said the state government should have its own intelligence
network on the lines of the Intelligence Bureau (IB).
"The state government should have its own intelligence
network on the lines of IB. If there would have been good
intelligence, the (July 13) serial blasts could have been
"Our machinery is capable of preventing terror attacks,"
Patil said, winding up a discussion in the Legislative Council
on the 13/7 blasts.
The Opposition has been criticising the government, saying
that had there been CCTVs, blasts could have been prevented,
Patil said. "But already there are 13,162 CCTV cameras in
Mumbai. Also in Zaveri Bazar there are 32 such cameras," he
The probe in the July 13 serial blasts is going in the
right direction, Patil said. "However, it will be
inappropriate to divulge information at this point as it may
hamper the probe," he said.
Patil lauded the work of police, saying so far 485
terrorists have been arrested. Mumbai police had also played a
major role in nabbing persons carrying arms and explosives to
Gujarat, he said. During the debate, Opposition members slammed Patil and
the Mumbai police for "not being able to act efficiently" in
curbing terror acts.
Refuting the charge that the government was spending Rs 31
crore on 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Kasab`s security, Patil said
"We don`t spend so much money on Kasab as stated in
Patil spoke on the need for community policing and said
awareness has to be created among people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress