Maha govt suspends cop for conniving with hookah p
Mumbai: Maharashtra government has suspended a police sub-inspector and initiated departmental inquiry against him for allegedly conniving with a hookah parlour in neighbouring Thane district, the Bombay High Court was informed on Thursday.
Government pleader DA Nalavade told a division bench of Justices AM Khanwilkar and KK Tated that sub inspector (Thane Rural) Narendra Kolte has been placed under suspension for conniving with a hookah parlour and alerting its owner of an impending police raid, and departmental inquiry launched against him.
The bench was hearing a PIL filed by NGO `Crusade Against Tobacco` claiming that hookah parlours are operating in Thane despite the government ban.
The petitioner had on the last hearing in November 2012 alleged that the local police were trying to shield the owner of hotel `Hollywood- 18`, located on Ghodbunder Road in Thane.
According to Vincent Nazareth of the NGO, some volunteers of the organisation had in September 2012 spotted more than 100 youngsters smoking hookah at the hotel, but when they approached the local police somebody from the police station tipped off the hotel management and consequently when they raided the hotel the place was cleared of the wrongdoings.
The high court had rapped the police on the last occasion for failing to identify the police official who informed the hookah parlour owner about the raid.
Observing that Kolte had committed dereliction of duty, the bench sought to know what charges will be levied against him. The court has directed the government to submit its chargesheet against Kolte before it on March 14 for perusal.
In August last year, the government had issued a circular to all civic bodies imposing ban on hookah parlours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued