Maha govt to compensate kin of farmers
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government on Friday
informed the legislative Assembly that kin of farmers who die
of snake bite while working in their farms would be
The issue came up during the question hour when the
Lower House was debating compensation to farmers who suffer losses due to wild animals.
Independent MLA Bachu Kadu wondered why farmers who
die of snake bite are left out.
Forest Minister Patangrao Kadam agreed to the demand
saying the compensation would be given within 15 days of the
Replying to another question on teak wood smuggling in
naxal-infested Gadchiroli district on the Andhra
Pradesh-Maharashtra border, Kadam said a special action plan
would be prepared to check it.
"At present, 23 teams of the forest department have
been formed to tackle the menace and three persons have been arrested so far," he said, adding the assistance of local
police force would also be taken.
Kadam said chief secretaries of Maharashtra and Andhra
Pradesh have held several rounds of talks on the steps to be
initiated to put a check on smuggling.
Vijay Waddetiwar (Congress) and Nana Patole (BJP)
complained that teak wood Rs 50 crore worth is destroyed
because of the smuggling every year.
The Opposition members demanded sacking of a tehsildar
in Devri taluka of Gondia district for his alleged involvement
in illegal transfer of government land to private parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray