Maha govt to file case against Lavasa project
Mumbai: Dark clouds seem to be once again looming large over Hindustan Construction Company`s ambitious Lavasa Lake City project, as the Maharashtra government plans to file an environmental violation case against the company in Pune court on Tuesday.
"We are preparing documents to file a case against Lavasa Corporation for violating Environment (Protection) Act 1986. Most probably, we will file a case against the company tomorrow," State Environment Minister Sanjay Devtale said.
"We will send a detailed report to the Environment Ministry after filing a case against the company (Lavasa Corporation)," he said.
On June 10, the Union Environment Ministry had asked the Maharashtra Government to take necessary action against the Lavasa Corporation, as a part of its construction has been undertaken without a green nod.
In a letter to the Maharashtra Government, the Union Ministry said that during an appraisal of request for green clearance for the development of 2,000 hectares Hill Station Township "it was found that constructions/developments in 681 hectare area was in progress without obtaining prior environmental clearance."
Noting that it had earlier issued show-cause notices on November 25 last year and "final directions" on January 17 this year, the Ministry said the constructions/developments in the 681 hectare area "are violations" of Environment (Protection) Act 1986.The action comes even as the Environment Ministry prepares to make known its decision on the Phase-I of the controversial project on June 15, when the matter comes up in the Bombay High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city