Maha Govt to procure 2,000 bullet-proof jackets
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government would
procure around 2,000 bullet-proof jackets as part of efforts
to modernise the police force in the backdrop of the 26/11
Mumbai terror attacks.
"Home Minister R R Patil has directed the authorities
to initiate the process for buying the jackets from an agency
certified by the Centre," an official said.
The agency supplies these jackets to the Border
Security Force, Central Reserve Police Force and National
The jackets cost between Rs 32,000 and Rs 45,000 and
have been tested at the Central Forensic Science Laboratory,
The Department has received flak over the quality of
the bullet-proof jackets worn by officers like slain ATS chief
Hemant Karkare who took on the terrorists during the attacks.
Kavita Karkare, widow of Hemant Karkare, has flayed
Congress-led state government for providing poor-quality
jacket to her husband.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender