Maha govt to release water for Marathwada
Nashik: Despite a strong opposition from local people, Maharashtra government has decided to release water from dams in Nashik and Ahmednagar districts to meet the nees of the Marathwada region facing acute water crisis.
Water will be released from Mula dam in Ahmednagar and Darna dam in Nashik district each on November 28 and 29 respectively for Jayakwadi dam in Marathawada region amid tight security considering strong opposition to the water release from local people in Nashik and Ahmednagar districts, officials said.
"Three TMC water will be released from Mula dam tomorrow morning in a tight police bandobast and security, while as much quantum of water will be released from Darna dam in Nashik on November 29. The water is likely to reach the Jayakwadi dam at Paithan in Marathwada in two days," A N Mhaske, executive engineer of Nashik irrigation department told reporters.
Irrigation Department has decided put in place extra police cover during the release of water. There would be no electricity supply during that time, so that people do not run water pumps to draw water, he said.
Both Mula and Bhandardara dams in Ahmednagar district received sufficient rainfall this year, while Darna dam in Nashik also got filled up to 90 per cent.
The irrigation department has received written orders from the state government after Maharashtra chief minister Prithviraj Chavan took a decision to release water from these dams, Mhaske added.
However, party leaders in Nashik and Ahmednagar districts have opposed the decision saying that there had not been adequate rainfall during the monsoon. Farmers also staged a rasta roko at Shirdi today to protest against the decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video