Maha Govt to seek Centre`s help to get bullet-proof jackets
Mumbai: The Maharashtra Government would seek
Centre`s help to purchase bullet-proof jackets for the police
force after none of the companies it approached could get its
"We have requested the Centre to help us purchase 2,775
bullet-proof jackets since all the earlier companies failed at
testing level," Home Minister R R Patil informed the
Legislative Council today.
The state government had floated tender for purchase of
jackets three times, but none of the companies got its
approval, he said.
With no option left, the government approached the Centre
to provide jackets given to NSG commandos, Patil said.
The government had received a lot of flak for the poor
quality of the bullet-proof jackets which were worn by the
slain police officials in the 26\11 terror attacks.
Patil said the jackets should not be too heavy and thick
as they restrict movement of the person. The jackets used by
the force now protect well only when the bullet is fired from
beyond 30 feet, he added.
Replying to Mohan Joshi (Cong), the minister said 150
jackets were ordered for Pune city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'