Maha govt violated rules to appoint new police chiefs: PIL
Mumbai: A PIL in the Bombay High Court on Thursday alleged that Maharashtra government had violated rules in appointing Rakesh Maria and Vijay Kamble as the police commissioners of Mumbai and Thane, respectively, and promoting Javed Ahmed as Director General of Police (Home Guards).
The petition urged that the court should issue a writ or direction to the state of Maharashtra and Chief Secretary (Home) to produce records in respect of appointment of Maria, Kamble and Javed Ahmed in their new posts.
The PIL, filed by social activist Hemant Patil, also urged for a direction to the respondents to produce records to show the recommendations made by the authorities in respect of their appointments.
The petition further prayed that the appointment of Maria and Kamble may be stayed during the pendency of the hearing.
The PIL said after the appointment of Rakesh Maria as the police commissioner of Mumbai, both Ahmed Javed and Vijay Kamble, who were running in the race for the same post, had openly declared that injustice had been done to them by not selecting them as the police chief of Mumbai.
The PIL further alleged that the seniority of both the officers, namely Javed Ahmed and Vijay Kamble, was not considered and instead Maria was selected for the top post.
Under such circumstances, the petitioner said he apprehended that the two officers might not perform their duties sincerely and this might have an effect on the interests of public. The petition would come up for hearing in due course.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...