Maha govt violated rules to appoint new police chiefs: PIL
Mumbai: A PIL in the Bombay High Court on Thursday alleged that Maharashtra government had violated rules in appointing Rakesh Maria and Vijay Kamble as the police commissioners of Mumbai and Thane, respectively, and promoting Javed Ahmed as Director General of Police (Home Guards).
The petition urged that the court should issue a writ or direction to the state of Maharashtra and Chief Secretary (Home) to produce records in respect of appointment of Maria, Kamble and Javed Ahmed in their new posts.
The PIL, filed by social activist Hemant Patil, also urged for a direction to the respondents to produce records to show the recommendations made by the authorities in respect of their appointments.
The petition further prayed that the appointment of Maria and Kamble may be stayed during the pendency of the hearing.
The PIL said after the appointment of Rakesh Maria as the police commissioner of Mumbai, both Ahmed Javed and Vijay Kamble, who were running in the race for the same post, had openly declared that injustice had been done to them by not selecting them as the police chief of Mumbai.
The PIL further alleged that the seniority of both the officers, namely Javed Ahmed and Vijay Kamble, was not considered and instead Maria was selected for the top post.
Under such circumstances, the petitioner said he apprehended that the two officers might not perform their duties sincerely and this might have an effect on the interests of public. The petition would come up for hearing in due course.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore