Maha govt yet to hand over promised land: Khairlanji victim
Mumbai: Bhaiyalal Bhotmange, whose four family members were tortured and murdered at Khairlanji in Bhandara district in September 2006, today asked Maharashtra government to hand over the land promised by it in the aftermath of the killings, which sparked nationwide protests.
Bhotmange, who met Home Minister R R Patil, told reporters at the Vidhan Bhawan that he was yet to get the promised land.
Patil spoke to Social Justice minister Shivajirao Moghe and asked him to do the needful.
Bhotmange also demanded a "competent" lawyer to represent the CBI in the Supreme Court on its appeal against the Bombay High Court`s decision to commute the death sentence of six convicts in the Khairlanji killings.
The Nagpur bench of the Bombay High Court had in 2010 commuted the death sentence of the six convicts to 25 years` imprisonment.
Four members of the Dalit family - Surekha Bhaiyalal Bhotmange, her daughter Priyanka, sons Sudhir and Roshan - were brutally killed by a mob in Khairlanji village on September 29, 2006 over a land dispute with upper castes, provoking violent protests across the state.
The court, while commuting the death sentence, had noted there was no caste factor involved in the killings and that all the accused had no previous criminal record.
It said mitigating and aggravating circumstances were more powerful in the case.
Six of the people accused of killing the children were given death sentence by a lower court in September 2008.
Another two were sentenced to life term for murdering Bhotmange`s wife.
"The state government had provided an able lawyer in Ujwal Nikam in the lower court. Now, when the case is in the apex court, we need another able lawyer," Bhotmange said.
Patil would be writing to CBI in Nagpur in this regard, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands