Maha Guv honours cops with medals for fighting 26/11 attacks
Mumbai: Maharashtra Governor Kateekal
Sankaranarayanan on Tuesday honoured 68 policemen, many of whom
fought during 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks in 2008, with medals
for displaying bravery during the crisis.
Of the 33 policemen who fought terrorists during
the 60-hour siege, 12 were given President`s Police Medals
while the rest were given Police Gallantary awards.
Seven policemen who lost their lives in the attacks
were honoured posthumously with President`s Police medals. The
seven policemen`s names are: PSI Prakash Pandurang More, PSI
Bapurao Durgude, PSI Balwant Bhosale and constables - Vijay
Khandekar, Jaywant Patil, Yogesh Patil and Rahul Shinde.
Additional Commissioner Sadanand Date who sustained
injuries during the terror attack at Cama Hospital was also
honoured with President`s Police Medal.
A total of 12 President`s Police Medals, 23 Police
Gallantary Medals and 33 Police Medals for meritorious service
were presented at an investiture ceremony by the Governor K
Sankaranarayanan at Raj Bhavan.
Talking to reporters after the function, 59-year-old
Shivaji Patil, a retired assistant sub-inspector and father of
constable Yogesh Patil who was conferred the President`s
Police Medal, expressed displeasure at the honour conferred on
his late son.
He said Yogesh was part of the team led by Hemant
Karkare, Vijay Salaskar and Ashok Kamte and laid down his life
along with his three superiors fighting the terrorists.
"Then why did the government not confer Ashok Chakra
on my son which was given to the three senior cops," he
"I was thinking not to attend the ceremony today. At
the last moment I changed my mind and attended the function,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation