Maha Home Minister Patil promises better facilities for home guards
Mumbai: Admitting that the Home Guards and
Civil Defence unit has been neglected so far, Maharashtra Home
Minister R R Patil on Wednesday said the government has initiated
steps to strengthen the force in terms of manpower and
Home Guards and Civil Defence force, which is tasked as
an auxiliary to the police, today celebrated its 63rd
anniversary at its headquarters in south Mumbai.
"In the backdrop of terror attacks in Mumbai and threats
lingering over the state, the existing 43,000 strength needs
to be increased in near future. The force will also be
provided additional equipment so that it can effectively deal
with any adverse situation," Patil said on the occasion.
"Civil Defence men would also be given Rs 150 per day,
the amount being paid to Home guards," he said. Presently,
civil defence volunteers are paid Rs 75 per day.
The government has sanctioned Rs 11 crore funds to clear
the pending remuneration of Home guards, he said.
During the occasion, Home guards and civil defence men
exhibited rescue operations to be carried out by them in case
of natural calamities, fire incidents and terror attacks.
Soon after the ceremony, a number of Home Guards and
Civil Defence volunteers alleged the government was paying no
heed to their problems.
"It is more than seven months we are awaiting our
remuneration. Promises are made every year but it is not
reflecting anywhere," said Y N Patil, a Home Guard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video